LONG HILL TOWNSHIP 1984 HISTORIC GUIDE

Compiled by The Passaic Township Historical Society in 1984.  Based on research by Miss Gwendolyn Thomas from "A Short History Published In Connection With The New Jersey Tercentennial, 1664-1964" and "Know Passaic Township" by the Passaic Township Educational Council, 1967-68.

These sites can be located by reference to selected addresses marked on the accompanying Map showing Historic Sites.


MILLINGTON STIRLING • GILLETTE • MEYERSVILLE & HOMESTEAD PARK 
MILLINGTON       [top]
42 Old Mill Road
Built in 1732; western part of house was a Boyle home.  Later it served as a cigar factory and blacksmith shop.  Solomon, who purchased 600 acres of land from the East Jersey Proprietors in 1732 was believed to have lived here.  Pegging can be found in the basement, a Dutch Oven and hand hewn beams.  It has six fireplaces and mudstraw plaster.
47 Old Mill Road
Built in 1749 by John Boyle, son of Solomon, who built a grist mill, saw mill and forge on the property.  The foundation of the Boyle Mill can be seen just across the Passaic River in front of the house where there was a bridge at one time.  The house also served as a Post Office and General Store.  It is believed Millington was named for these early mills that operated until around 1902.  An old Buttonwood Tree on the property, according to calculations by the present owner, Mr. Walter Carell, a Landscape Architect, goes back to 1672.
109 River Road
Built in late 1800's.  Was Acme Harrow Factory.  The office of this factory was converted into the house that stands there today.
Millington Station
Built in 1901 after the West Line Railroad was extended from Summit to Bernardsville during the years 1870-71.  It was entered into the National Register of Historic Places on June 22, 1984.
1932 Long Hill Road
Building originally housed Coriell's General Store built in 1921 now the home of the Millington Post Office.
1905 Long Hill Road
Site of the original barn owned by L. Bower who ran a taxi business here.  It is now a garage owned and operated by William F. Oehley.
48 Sunnyslope
Built in the Middle 1700's.  It is believed that Col. Solomon Boyle, a descendant of Solomon, lived here.  What is now Long Hill Road used to turn west about 400 feet from Town Hall and proceed over the road now called SUNNYSLOPE.  It was later changed to its present course in the early 1900's.
1802 Long Hill Road
Present Town Hall-Old Millington School (District #7 on Beer's Atlas of Morris Co. 1868). Believed to have been built around 1820.  It was used continuously as a school until 1926 when it was closed.  It was reopened in 1929 and served four grades until 1933.  Originally, the building housed eight grades with one teacher.  In the early part of the present century an addition (the west wing), now occupied by township offices, was added.  On Oct. 6, 1928, the Township Committee took over the Old School for a meeting place.  The Committee met only on Saturdays at 2:00 P.M. for the school was used for school purposes until 1933.
1769 Long Hill Road
Built about 1764.  The original part of the house was an old stagecoach stop that stood at the intersection of Long Hill Rd. across from All Saints' Episcopal Church.  It was moved by flatbed truck to its present location.  The eastern section is a recent addition.
1767 Long Hill Road
Built in the late 1700's.  There are hand hewn beams and pegging in the basement also a Dutch Oven.  The first floor has random width flooring and the windows are of different sizes.  The oldest Horse Chestnut Tree stands in front of this house.
101 Oaks Road
Built in 1870 by Frederick Nishwitz as a summer home. He was the inventor of the Acme Harrow and had a factory on River Rd.  Many of the men employed at his factory worked on his farm in the summer months which was part of the Boyle Tract.
123 Cross Hill Road
Duane H. Nash house built around 1882.  He was associated with Mr. Nishwitz in the Acme Harrow Factory as the manufacturer of the Acme Harrow.  He was also the proprietor of the Passaic Valley Stock Farm of 200 acres on which he raised Shetland ponies and French coach horses.
126 Cross Hill Road
Built in 1881 from a large barn on Mr. Nishwitz's property called the "Millington Academy".  It had two rooms, one for elementary pupils and the other for high school pupils and was a private school started by Mr. Nishwitz.  At the turn of the century, the Academy building was made into two houses.
110 Cross Hill Road
Was originally part of the"Millington Academy" at 126 Cross Hill Road.
100 Basking Ridge Road
Originally built by "planter" Solomon Boyle around the time of his marriage in 1732 to a young French girl, Susannah, the structure is among the earliest in the area.  It is a rambling farm house built in four distinct sections.  The central portion was erected prior to 1750, the left wing was built in the 19th Century (about 1804) and the "L" to the rear is contemporary to the right servants wing of 1900.  The original farmhouse of around 1750 is a 1-1 story colonial of post and beam construction and of a style akin to 2 that of the New England 3/4 house.  In the original portion there are three fireplaces-one on the 1st level (now closed over) and 2 on the 2nd level.  All the windows in this portion also seem to be original and in the front are nine over six light windows and seem to be handmade.  The property was owned by Mrs. Phyllis Hall Sims and the Dunham Family, long time residents of the area.
72 Basking Ridge Road
Built in 1813.  Original part, the western section, is said to be over 170 years old today.  It was the farmhouse which was on a 120 acre farm which extended across the road now called Old Forge Road and down to the Passaic River.  It was the Gillam Farm at one time.  A cannon ball is said to have been found on the property.
1738 Long Hill Road
The Inn.  Site of one of the first stagecoach stops on the main thoroughfare to Elizabeth and Newark by way of New Providence and Berkeley Heights.  Building was taken down about 1913.
1727 Long Hill Road
Built in mid 1700's
1728 Long Hill Road
Blacksmith Shop Built in 1866 by William D. Compton who became the township's first blacksmith.  He also specialized in carriage work.
1720 Long Hill Road
Broom Factory in late 1800's.
1699 Long Hill Road
Sewing Machine Factory in late 1800's.
1690 Long Hill Road
Mill-work shop of Mr. Nicholas Thomas who started his lumber business at this site in 1897 in back of his home now occupied by his daughter, Miss Gwendolyn Thomas, Township Historian.
1672 Long Hill Road
Built around 1770.  Old Cooper property.  It has a large fireplace in the living room and hand hewn beams.  Original section contained two rooms downstairs and two upstairs.  An original beehive oven is visible near the fireplace.  A little one room schoolhouse still stands in back of the house where many of the early residents of the area were taught by Aletta Runyon, one of the township's first teachers.
1552 Long Hill Road
Pre-Revolutionary house.  The part on the west was built first.  It was a Cooper house for many years and was built in the mid 1700's (circa 1730).  The oldest section features a very large fireplace in the dining room with an original cooking crane.  The outside of the fireplace displays the rounded contour of the original beehive oven.
2 Carlton Road
Built in 1816.  An old house stood on this site.  It was a Peter Cooper house and was destroyed by fire in 1816.  It was rebuilt at that time and remodeled in the early 1900's.
1434 Long Hill Road
Pre-Revolutionary house built around 1760 by John Cooper, fifth child of Daniel Cooper.  The oldest part of the house is the living room which is in the front of the house.  The walls of this room are lined with bricks and stones.  According to a 1760 British map owned by Mr. & Mrs. Charles B. Clancy, the present owners, and a survey map of 1777-78 drawn up by Robert Erskine, Gen. George Washington's Cartographer, this property was the site of "Cooper's Windmill" one of the high spots in the area where large bonfires were lit to signal an immediate assembly of the Colonial Militia.
147 Northfield Road
Built in 1864.
362 South Northfield Road
Built in 1765.  Was Abram D. Runyon Farm in later years.
433 South Northfield Road
Probably built around 1764 by Joshua Davis.  The abstract on this property does not go back further than 1784.  However, it is believed that it was built 20 years earlier than this date.  Walls are brick to the second floor and floor boards are the original 17 inches wide.  It was the Moore Family Farm in later years.
55 Old Farm House Road
Built in early 1800's.  It was an old farm house on the Boyle tract of land and had a Dutch Oven in the basement.  It has been remodeled extensively.
1663 Valley Road
Built in 1831-home of Jacob Carle's grandson, Daniel.  Jacob Carle came to Millington from Long Island and purchased 500 acres the one-fourth part of the Berkeley Tract of 2000 acres north of the Passaic River.  Jacob Carle's house was located south of this house but is no longer standing.  Joshua Davis who lived at 433 South Northfield Rd. owned about 150 acres of land just west of this Carle Tract.
1727 Valley Road
Built in mid 1700's.  MacDonald's Farm.

 
STIRLING       [top]
663 Whitebridge Road
and Pleasant Plains Road
Pleasant Plains School House (Dist. #5 on Beer's Atlas of Morris Co., 1868).  Built around 1820.  It served as a school until 1923 when it was closed and sold to Charles Oehley, who converted it into a house.  At one time two large maple trees, originally planted by pupils on Arbor Day, stood on the property and were named for presidents Benjamin Harrison and Grover Cleveland.
241 Pleasant Plains Road
Built in 1864 was the site of an old farmstead.  House that stands there today is a new home.
1292 Long Hill Road
Middle section was built about 1784 and the home of Col. Cornelius Ludlow who served in the Eastern Battalion of the Morris County Militia, and later as a Morris County Judge.  In the middle of the 1800's, Mr. Joseph Blake bought up a large tract of this land and also lived here in what has been known as St. Joseph's Villa for many years.
1143 Long Hill Road
Built in the late 1800's.  Claude Chaffanjon, who owned a large section of Stirling and was a great benefactor of the Roman Catholic Church in Stirling, lived here at "The Villa".
1190 Long Hill Road
Herbert G. Torrey , a prominent businessman and U.S. Assayer in Stirling purchased land here in 1902 and lived in part of the buildings, now the Blessed Trinity Retreat Cenacle.  He also gave and maintained a park at the Stirling Railroad Station.  This park had a fountain in the center at one time.  He also owned a metal factory on Railroad Avenue.  Now called STIRLING HOUSE.
261 Railroad Avenue
Built in 1800's, it was Germershausen Blacksmith Shop from 1880-1940.
Stirling Lake
Made from a series of springs in 1888.  Ice was harvested from this lake and an ice house stood at the east end of the lake in which large blocks of ice were stored.
Railroad Avenue
North of 321 Somerset Street
(Stirling Firehouse)
Site of Stirling Silk Mill Manufacturing Co. built in 1897.  Skilled workers from Italy and Syria were brought in to work in the mills and at that time there were close to 85 buildings operating at the site.  The U.S. Hammered Piston Ring Corp. moved into the old buildings between 1938-39.  The two-story wing at the end of the building was still used as a knitting mill at that time.  It was later to become the General Air Products Co. which was destroyed by fire.  None of the buildings now stand.
Central Avenue And Elm St.
Site of STIRLING HOUSE, a resort hotel built in 1800's.  Dorsi's Store-site of early grocery and drug stores of 1900's.  Katherine McGrath, M.D. operated the drug store in this building.
353 Morris Street
Built in 1771.  It was the home of Miss Louise Wurmser.  It has pegging and wide floor boards and a bake oven.  It was originally the home of Joseph Acken, an early resident of the area.
240 Morris Street
Built in the mid 1700's.  It was remodeled from the original Runyon Farm House.  Richard Runyon settled in what is now Stirling in 1740 on a farm of 176 acres and the Runyons owned most of the land that makes up Stirling today.  Joseph Acken, mentioned above, lived on part of this Runyon land.
51 Plainfield Road
Built in the mid 1700's near the Passaic River Bridge, this house faced the old road which ran along the river in early days.  It has hand hewn oak beams and wooden pegs were used in the construction.  It is claimed ballast brick was also used.  The walls were plastered with clay and straw mortar.
1012 Valley Road
In 1868 Mr. N. Bower had a store in his house here.  It is now the site of the Valley Memorial Funeral Home.

 
GILLETTE       [top]
977 Valley Road
Former site of a home for Nuns built in 1764.  It was torn down several years ago.
738 Valley Road
Built in 1811, it once housed the post office in the area.
503 Mountain Avenue
Built in 1783.  During the 1890's G.W. Nixdorff ran a general store in the northern section of this house.
275 Mountain Avenue
This house was built in 1732 when James Cauldwell and his wife, Mary, settled on Long Hill on lot #30 of the Elizabethtown lots which appears he drew.  It was purchased by the Cornish Family in 18156 and remodeled.
172 Mountain Avenue
This house was built in the 1730's by Aaron Thompson who settled on Long Hill on lot #31 of 100 acres of the Elizabethtown lots.  The house belonged to the Thompson Family for many years.
892 Long Hill Road
Built in 1844, it is part of a farm that belonged to John Williams, born in 1768.  For many years it was called "Williams Corner".
918 Long Hill Road
Old Long Hill School built in 1813.  This was one of the township's first one-room school houses and served the eastern end of the township.  It is listed as Dist. #6 on Beers Atlas of 1868.  It was part of the Daniel Cory Tract of 1795.  It continued as a school until 1924 when it was closed and later sold as a home to Mr. & Mrs. Fred Steuer.

 
MEYERSVILLE & HOMESTEAD PARK       [top]
438 Long Hill Road
Old Hickory Tavern was an early stage coach stop.  It was built in 1734 and served teamsters and loggers transporting their loads to points east.  It has belonged to the Richard Schmidt Family since 1905.
211 Hickory Tavern Road
Built in 1779, it is now an antique shop and was called the "Trading Post" for many years.  It was a store from 1914-17.
Meyersville Inn
In 1850 Elias Williams ran a store at this site.  It was sold in 1919 to W. Clark who conducted a tavern there until the 1940's.
624 Meyersville Road
Built in 1814. It was the Mountain View Boarding House around 1920.
614 Meyersville Road
In 1876 John H. Ortman built a blacksmith shop across the street from this location.  It was later moved to this site.
223 Meyersville Road
Built in 1864, it is now the site of the E. Kielblock Farm.
65 New Vernon Road
Built in 1824.
560 New Vernon Road
Built in 1864.
684 Whitebridge Road
This house was built by Jacob High in 1763 and was purchased by Charles Kutcher's father in 1867.  The chimney stone on this house is marked "J.H" or Jacob High.
542 Meyersville Road
House is about 170 years old but has been remodeled.
486 Meyersville Road
Center part is over 200 years old.  The garage was originally a carriage house.

© Long Hill Township Historical Society
materials on this site may not be republished without the express permission of the Long Hill Township Historical Society

--[5/13/07]--